Friday, November 30, 2012

Planting lettuce from seeds

It's winter. I still get a lot of sun in a section of the house so I have decided to grow my lettuce indoor. I'm not a big fan of store bought lettuce and what better way to have fresh lettuce than growing your own?

I have have decided to grow lettuce from seeds bought from a local hardware store. These stores usually have limited or no selection during the winter months. I had to ask a store employee if they had any plant seeds available. One said no and the other said they put what seeds were left all the way in the back of the store.

I planted my lettuce seeds in a rectangular planter and sowed the seeds in rows. Don't worry about sowing too many seeds. You can always pull the a few sprouts out once the plants are a few inches tall.

Lettuce - Day 4
Seeds usually take 7-10 days to Germinate. Mine took 4 days. I recommend sowing your seeds 1/4 inches deep and 10 inches apart. I obviously didn't do that but I will thin out the plants once they are bigger. I prefer to over plant than have few germinate. With proper care, you'll have lettuce ready to harvest in about 60 days. It's worth the wait.

Lettuce - Day 7

No comments:

Post a Comment